This brick-and-stone built tomb is unusual in Cairo for being not a square domed mausoleum, but a liwan (an open-fronted hall) covered with a pointed barrel vault. It is flanked by two lower side liwans. Inside the western liwan there are remnants of a band of monumental Qur’anic inscription painted on plaster. The central liwan once faced a courtyard, which Sultan Qaitbey incorporated into the residential and service area of the funerary complex he built in 1474. The site was later used as a burying ground in the Ottoman period. The cenotaph (tabut) in the tomb’s eastern liwan bears the names of both Amir Mankalibugha and the 16th century man for whom the cenotaph was made.
The tomb, which was in precarious structural condition and in imminent danger of collapse, was conserved by ARCHiNOS Architecture in 2019 with funding from the Antiquities Endowment Fund of the American Research Center in Egypt.